Monday, August 6, 2012

At Dawn

Today as I was cleaning out the mess I call my office I ran across some notes, cards, and letters from guests in our past.  Among them I found a poem written by a guest while she was relaxing o the front porch before breakfast with a cup of coffee.  It reminded me of why I chose to live here and become an innkeeper with my husband the Colonel!  Thank you Tina for the reminder of why I love living here and why I love my job!

The Country Victorian
Middlebury, Indiana

At dawn-
In the middle of a place where sounds of engines mix
With the clip-clop of horses hooves,
Crickets still chirp in welcome of the sun rising in the East.

A dragon tree and red geraniums guard the stoop of Living history,
Preserved by the Colonel and his wife for all to see, American pride.

Tawny-hued wood, polished lovingly to a glow,
Rows of flowery china encased side by side with hand carved knick-knacks,
Brick-a-brack and old-tyme photos,
Books that speak volumes when you turn their pages.

Beds invite blissful slumber until a lavender an chamomile bath beckon,
The water warming bones and soul.
Coffee at the ready, no longer weary,
Breakfast is served to prepare us for the next of our journey
As geese fly in a "V" against a misty sunrise, and in the distance,
Church bells toll.
                                     -Tina Hoffman

No comments:

Post a Comment